Reflection of Two Genres

Denisse Ramirez  

December 12th, 2018 

Creative Expressions 

Prof. Davidow 

Reflection of Two Genres 

Barriers I had encountered to communicating to my audience were the usage of vocabulary and the word count of each genre. The textbook biography or the journal entry were not required to be long, for they were for a small amount of people. Journal entries of a painting in a museum are a small summary of the main information of the painting’s history and components, no more than that. To do this I had given the audience, visitors of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the main information of the painting, the medium used, the original date of the painting, and how Dali had created the painting. For the textbook biography, it also was not needed to be more than a summary of what the painting was about and its main purpose. The textbook biography had consisted of what symbols Dali had used in the Crucifixion and what their connections were to the artist. The composing process was different from the research essay because it required less information to be researched and had given more freedom to teach and inform others about our topics connected to art. This process was easier for me to do and find a way to inform others about the information I had gathered about Dali and turn it into a different genre. I had chosen the genres of the textbook biography and the journal entry because it had connected to the Art History course, I had taken this semester. With the textbook biography, it would be used to teach college students of an Art History course the history and meaning behind the surrealist painting of the Crucifixion by Salvador Dali. Salvador Dali is a main artist used during the lesson of Surrealism in this course. With the journal entry, it would be used to inform visitors of an art museum about the Crucifixion painting by Dali and the history of the painting and the medium of the artwork. Some rhetorical practices I found myself using were asking myself what I would want to see in a journal entry when I see this painting, any questions I have, and what the painting consists of. I took it as a time to reflect on what I wanted to be taught and informed about. This way, I would know that the textbook biography and the journal entry are successful in informing and teaching others as I did to myself when I was researching the information used to build these genres. In the end, the genres were effective to the audiences and how they both turned out. The journal entry had provided enough information to inform the visitors about the painting without being too long and giving too much information or straying away from the main points or purpose of the painting. This showed me that the genres were both effective and that I had done a decent job as intended.